Sunday, September 2, 2012
Photos: Erykah Badu crowned Empress of Swag
She was the host of a natural hair parade that celebrated the African American community on Saturday.
DALLAS At the 2012 Naturally Isis World Natural Hair Parade and Festival on Saturday in Dallas, grand marshal and R&B singer Erykah Badu was named Empress of Swag in a special presentation. The family-friendly festival was created "to usher in love, peace and unification all for the purpose of cultivating the labor of love for natural hair," according to festival materials.
The festival, now in its second year, was started by Isis Brantley, a champion for natural hair for African Americans. The daylong celebration featured a parade, kids activities, poets, and food.
- Meet Winspear and Kamau, the Dallas Zoo's ridiculously adorable baby cheetahs
- Hairspray director John Waters and comedienne Sandra Bernhard visit Dallas for WordSpace series
- Recipe: Roast up chicken, corn, and veg just like Oak Cliff's Bolsa
- What a hunka hunka burnin' love! See Elvis impersonators shimmy and shake in Oak Cliff
- Taco review: Stick with the meat dishes at excellent La Guadalupana