Monday, September 3, 2012
Photos: Fried jambalaya wins “best taste” at State Fair of Texas this year
"Most creative" went to fried bacon cinnamon roll.
FAIR PARK Abel Gonzales did it again for the fifth time — concocted a winner in the annual State Fair food competition with deep-fried jambalaya at Fair Park Monday morning.
In the eighth annual Big Tex Choice Awards, Gonzales won in the “best taste” competition. Gonzales gained 20 pounds for the competition as he perfected the recipe. “I made a lot of bad jambalaya before I made the good jambalaya,” he said.
Gonzales hammed for the cameras, waving his trophy high above his head.
Butch Benavides won in the “most creative” category for a fried bacon cinnamon roll.
The dousing of bacon sprinkles into the recipe came because Benavides said, “I really don’t like sweets.”
Scroll through the gallery above to see all eight finalists, including the two winners.
- UPDATED: Man v. Food dude at State Fair on Saturday: "Yes -- some of my exes do live in Texas"
- Ranking the new fried foods at the State Fair of Texas
- Fried food is king at State Fair of Texas, including -- Fried Sugar?
- Here's your map to the State Fair of Texas' newest fried foods
- What to do, see, and hear at the 2012 State Fair of Texas
- Dogged pursuit of fun leads pet owners to Deep Ellum's Bark Park
- Theater review: DSM's glittering production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert never "drags"
- Did you know Mary Suhm was a high school beauty queen in Beaumont? 10 things about her:
- Dallas-based Pecan Lodge is Texas Monthly's second-best barbecue joint, sort of
- "Young and funky" wanted for television series filmed at Dallas' Good Records