Monday, September 3, 2012
Photos: Fried jambalaya wins “best taste” at State Fair of Texas this year
"Most creative" went to fried bacon cinnamon roll.
FAIR PARK Abel Gonzales did it again for the fifth time — concocted a winner in the annual State Fair food competition with deep-fried jambalaya at Fair Park Monday morning.
In the eighth annual Big Tex Choice Awards, Gonzales won in the “best taste” competition. Gonzales gained 20 pounds for the competition as he perfected the recipe. “I made a lot of bad jambalaya before I made the good jambalaya,” he said.
Gonzales hammed for the cameras, waving his trophy high above his head.
Butch Benavides won in the “most creative” category for a fried bacon cinnamon roll.
The dousing of bacon sprinkles into the recipe came because Benavides said, “I really don’t like sweets.”
Scroll through the gallery above to see all eight finalists, including the two winners.
- UPDATED: Man v. Food dude at State Fair on Saturday: "Yes -- some of my exes do live in Texas"
- Ranking the new fried foods at the State Fair of Texas
- Fried food is king at State Fair of Texas, including -- Fried Sugar?
- Here's your map to the State Fair of Texas' newest fried foods
- What to do, see, and hear at the 2012 State Fair of Texas
- Looking for dinner and a game of bocce? Try Samar by Stephan Pyles
- Dallas Beer Kitchen promises "rare, hard to find" brews on Lowest Greenville
- Transit Bicycle Co. relocates to Lower Greenville
- Creepy rendering of Big Tex shows he's almost ready for the State Fair
- Photos: Dallas Heritage Village Charleston'd its way through history on Saturday