Thursday, August 1, 2013
12 satisfying events for your weekend in DFW August 1-4
It's a chill weekend. Which means: Sip some beer, listen to some tunes, and grab a good bite.
- Families who qualify can get free school supplies for their Dallas ISD children. There's also health screenings, haircuts, and games for the kiddos. Get to the 2013 Mayor’s Back To School Fair early Thursday in Fair Park.
- Hard Rock Cafe: Not a treasure, right? Well, an event called Treasures of the Hard Rock showcases memorabilia from artists who died too soon, like a dress from Amy Winehouse.
- Go see two new West Dallas restaurants compete for bragging rights at Fork Fight, $75 per person. Local Urban Craft Kitchen (LUCK), which uses beer in a lot of its dishes, battles Resto Gastro Bistro, a rustic American concept.
10 curiously-named restaurants in Dallas-Fort Worth
Buzz on a budget: 8 awesome drinks and deals east of 75 in Dallas
Buzz on a budget, part 2: 8 drink specials and deals in Oak Lawn and Uptown
- Deep Ellum Brewing Company beer Dallas Blonde is already 1 year old. And what a lady! For the first birthday party, the brewers are convening at Katy Trail Ice House for special giveaways.
- Rock and indie fans, Vans Warped Tour is back this year at Gexa Energy Pavilion. The perennially sweaty festival features Forever The Sickest Kids, Reel Big Fish, Never Shout Never, and so many more. Tickets are still available.
- There's midget wrestling at The Aardvark in Fort Worth Friday night. Will it be fun? Maybe only a little.
- At QuakeCon on Saturday, those of the nerd persuasion can bring their own computers for a PC modeling competition. These range from really old to totally sexy. QuakeCon takes place at the Hilton Anatole.
- It's too dang hot to run outside without some kind of reward. Saturday morning in the McKinney Downtown Square, run for a good cause -- the North Texas Cat Rescue -- and be rewarded with cool towels and beer.
- We've been mourning the loss of DJ Kidd Kraddick this week. One of his favorite bands was Train, and on Saturday night, they play at Gexa Energy Pavilion in Dallas.
- This year's Mayhem Festival lineup is serious: Rob Zombie, Five Finger Death Punch, Mastodon, and more. Headbanging is welcome.
- We don't often drink beer on someone's 1st birthday, but when it's Lakewood Brewing Company's birthday, we'll drink to that. The bash is at Goodfriend in East Dallas and includes pours of Hop Trapp, The Temptress, and more.
- Courtney Love swings through town Sunday night at House of Blues. She's working on a new album and writing a new book. What to expect from her concert? We can't be sure.