Thursday, August 1, 2013
Pecan Lodge in Dallas offers two options to skip the line
Both require large orders.
DALLAS Waiting in line for Texas' best barbecue has become a tradition. Waits for Franklin Barbecue in Austin can exceed three hours. Getting a bite of barbecue at Snow's in Lexington means a trip to the Hill Country during breakfast on Saturdays; by lunch, it's mostly gone. And the line at Dallas' Pecan Lodge is hundreds deep every weekend.
Justin Fourton, owner of Pecan Lodge, said Thursday he wants to make it easier to get his prized barbecue, which was named one of the best in the state by Texas Monthly.
1. A second cash register has been added that will primarily serve as an "Express Line" for those ordering 5lbs or more. This means at any time (without notice) you can walk up and place your order without waiting in the main line.
2. Pre-Orders can be made with 2 days advanced noticed by sending an email to email@example.com. Pre-Orders must be for whole products (whole briskets, racks of ribs, etc) and can be picked up anytime from 11am to 3pm on days that we're open.
Both options begin immediately.
Full disclosure: Pecan Lodge catered a party I hosted for a few hundred people in April, the night before my wedding. For many of our Dallas-area guests, it was their first time to eat Pecan Lodge -- and many seemed discouraged at the thought of a long wait to eat that delicious brisket again. The new rules will be a welcome option for barbecue lovers who haven't the time or patience to wait for Fourton's food.
Pecan Lodge is located in Shed 2 at the Dallas Farmers Market. It rose to national barbecue fame in 2012, after Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives (and Guy Fieri) taped a segment there. They've served some of Dallas' best 'cue since it opened in 2010.
See more stories in:
- Theater review: Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer at the Majestic is just plain phenomenal
- Theater review: Controversial and raunchy, The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told tries to find God
- Sir Elton John rockets to Dallas in March 2014
- Good timing: Ice skating rink opens Friday at Klyde Warren Park
- UPDATED: Austin's Houndstooth Coffee heads to