Thursday, August 22, 2013 , Updated 12:00 p.m., August 23, 2013
UPDATED: Man threatened to jump from Lewisville overpass Wednesday
Police talked him down.
LEWISVILLE On Wednesday afternoon, a man perched on a local overpass threatening to jump. After nearly an hour, police had talked the man down.
Lewisville police had Interstate 35E northbound shutdown at Fox Avenue, and all traffic was being diverted onto the access road. Around 4:15 p.m. police responded to the Main Street overpass where the man was. By 4:50 p.m. police had the man in custody.
"The man was taken into protective custody and was evaluated by mental health professionals," said Capt. Kevin Deaver. "He came down off the ledge with no incident."
Due to the highway closure, traffic was backed up past the President George Bush Turnpike intersection.
Police are not releasing any information about the man. Deaver said it is standard procedure to shut down the roadway in incidents like that.
Pegasus News Content partner - Star Local News
- More than you wanted to know about breastaurant reality show Big Tips Texas
- Country artists Casey Donahew and Randy Rogers to headline Lewisville Western Days
- Tamale eating competition returns to Lewisville's Western Days festival
- "Freedom Writer" Darrius Garrett will sign memoir in Lewisville
- Witness helped police arrest man accused of stealing drugs from Walgreens