Wednesday, August 28, 2013
8 Omazing things Oprah has to try in DFW
Welcome to Big D, Oprah. Please enjoy our ostriches, okra, and Omni.
DALLAS As you may or may not know, talkshow legend Oprah Winfrey is headed to Dallas to take part in T.D. Jakes' MegaFest. While here, the media mogul will film a taping of her OWN network series "Lifeclass." Even though Oprah's schedule looks jam-packed, here are 8 "O"mazing things she must check out while in Dallas.
1. The Oval Office at the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum: While Oprah's Harpo offices may be an impressive set up, none can match the pristine replica of the White House's Oval Office located at the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum. In her spare time in Dallas, Oprah can stop by the replica for a quick "power portrait" that can be purchased at the site's gift shop for the low, low price of $20.
2. Octopus at Driftwood: Leslie Brenner recently named this dish as one of her "16 unforgettable Dallas signature dishes." Here's what she has to say about the "chargrilled octopus with marble potato confit, Manzanilla olives, watercress, pickled onions and smoked tomato vinaigrette at Driftwood: This gorgeous plate could only have come from the imagination of chef Omar Flores." Yum, right?
3. Ostriches at the Dallas Zoo: Oprah owns a lot of things, but you know one thing that she probably doesn't have? An ostrich. While in town, Oprah should make the trip to the Dallas Zoo to see one of the zoo's most recognizable birds.
4. Olivella's pizza: Dallas has a bevvy of stellar pizza places, but the one truly "O"mazing place is Olivella's. Crispy Italian style pizza awaits the Queen of Media at either of the restaurant's two locations.
5. Oranges, okra and more at the Dallas Farmers Market: If Oprah is still sticking to a stringent eating regimen, perhaps pizza isn't the best suggestion. Instead, Oprah must make a trip to the Dallas Farmers Market to pick up the area's freshest "O"mazing offerings like oranges, okra and ... er, more oranges.
6. Catch a movie at Fort Worth's Omni Theater: Located at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, the Omni Theater is a movie goer's delight. Even though, as of late, Oprah's probably been in more movies than she's seen, seeing a movie the Omni's encompassing IMAX screen is a must.
7. See orchids at the Dallas Arboretum: Oprah can reconnect with nature the best way Dallas knows how to with a quick trip to the Dallas Arboretum. There, she can check out the lush landscapes of the prolific property, complete with "O"mazing orchids.
8. Sip on an Old Fashioned at Neighborhood Services: After Oprah's done with the previous seven suggestions, odds are she'll want a drink. What better way to end a day in Dallas than with an Old Fashioned at Neighborhood Services? While there, Oprah can munch on fried asparagus and other delicious eats.