Monday, December 2, 2013
5 best moments from Macklemore’s tour through North Texas
Some scored a free vintage jacket just for being in the crowd.
GRAND PRAIRIE The hip-hop duo known as Macklemore and Ryan Lewis sure know how to throw a party onstage. They've done it at nationally-televised awards shows, and now that the group is on the road, we got to see ourselves how far they would push it at Verizon Theatre on Saturday.
Here are five of the best moments of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' local show.
1. He's got a passion for fashion: Early on in the night, Macklemore (Ben Haggerty) picked out his favorite look from the crowd — a woman in a knee-length fur coat sitting 30 rows back. He asked her to pass it up so he could try it on. Once it made to the stage, he slipped it on, describing it as a wild dingo jacket. He immediately went into “Thrift Shop,” making it a point to throw vintage pieces into the crowd that he grabbed from a rolling rack onstage.
2. He's a survivor: The 30-year old rapper has fought a drug and alcohol addiction, finding success only after he became sober. He said he started smoking weed and drinking at 14. Anytime he was high or drunk, he said his creativity was shot. This battle went on for years, he told a captivated audience, and he said he became depressed and stopped making music altogether. In 2008, he checked into rehab and got sober. He wrote the track “Otherside” in 20 minutes, and the rest is history.
3. Even men can get into costume changes: Macklemore changed three times during the show, showing off his eccentric, off-the-wall style with items such as a Davy Crockett racoon hat, traditional mariachi ensemble, and a glittering silver-and-magenta cape topped off with an '80s wig.
4. He (seemingly) loves Texas: During Macklemore's first U.S. tour a year ago, Haggerty said he was afraid to sing “Same Love” in conservative states like Texas because he didn’t know how they would react to the equal rights message. But as soon as the song began at his Dallas show in 2012, his crowd of about 300 people sang along.
5. He told some tall tales: Macklemore shared absurd stories throughout the night. His intro for “Can’t Hold Us” was one of the best: He said he recently hung out with Mariah Carey, Snoop Dogg and Tony Romo. Mariah cooked meatloaf but wouldn’t eat it until she was drunk enough to not care. Romo got hammered and passed out early, and of course, Snoop opted for his recreational drug of choice. Allegedly, Snoop asked him which city is the craziest on the road. And of course, he answered, “Dallas.”