Friday, February 1, 2013
Top 5 events happening in Dallas-Fort Worth this weekend
Pick your poison: monster trucks, musicals, comedy, or art.
1. Monster Truck Winternationals and Thrill Show: The Friday and Saturday event at Mesquite Arena features trucks with names like Bigfoot, Clydesdale, and Heartbreaker, as well as motorcycle and ATV quad races. Motorcycle rider Big Ed Beckley will also attempt a ramp-to-ramp motorcycle jump over cars each night. --Dena Hill
2. Mike Epps: The comedian and actor takes the stage at Verizon Theatre in Grand Prairie on Saturday. He’s probably best-known for his appearances in Next Friday, Friday After Next, and The Hangover. He’s appearing with Doug E. Fresh, beatboxer and party starter extraordinaire. --Joy Tipping
3. Hedwig and the Angry Inch Costume Singalong: Wear your best themed costume to this Saturday event at the Texas Theatre featuring a screening of the film, followed by a drag show and live performance by Nikki Trash. --Dena Hill
4. Free Arts District fun: Check out top attractions for free. The Crow Collection of Asian Art is hosting a family program featuring activities to celebrate the upcoming Year of the Snake. At the Nasher Sculpture Center, there’ll be artist demos, an art project for kids, and more. And, under its new admission policy, the Dallas Museum of Art offers free general admission. --Ann Pinson
5. Black Pearl Sings: Jubilee Theatre in Fort Worth has brought in acting and singing powerhouse Liz Mikel for its production. She plays a woman in prison who teaches the old songs she learned in her childhood to a researcher who wants to preserve American folk music. --Lawson Taitte
- Video: Dirk honored in NBA Finals commercial
- Dogged pursuit of fun leads pet owners to Deep Ellum's Bark Park
- Sample 150 craft beers from local homebrewers at Oak Cliff's Brew Riot
- Theater review: DSM's glittering production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert never "drags"
- Four Corners Brewery hosts Texas barbecue royalty on May 25