Tuesday, February 5, 2013
10 little-known facts about Destiny’s Child
In lieu of their rocking reunion at Super Bowl XLVII.
The R&B genre of the '90s was all about the girl groups. Destiny’s Child is among the select few that have maintained their fame well into this decade. Their journey has not been without struggles, but somehow they have managed to rise above. They performed together as a trio for several years. After much success, they took a hiatus to pursue solo projects and personal endeavors. The time apart made them realize they would love to work on music together once again. In lieu of their reunion, which happened early in 2013, here are 10 must know facts about the band.
1. Back in the day - The original lineup was put together back in 1990.
2. Lone Star State - Beyoncé and the original members called Houston home.
3. The Old Testament - Matthew Knowles, Beyoncé father is responsible for naming the band Destiny’s Child, this term comes from a passage in the Book of Isaiah.
4. To be named later - The original 4 members of Destiny’s Child went by the name, Girl’s Tyme when they started.
5. Sell, sell, sell - The girls have performed together off and on for the last 13 years. During this time they have sold more than 50 million records.
6. Now - The “surviving” members of Destiny’s Child are Michelle, Beyoncé and Kelly.
7. Asked to leave - Before there was Kelly and Michelle there was Farrah, Letoya and LaTavia. These three girls were in the band at different stages but were fired due to in differences with Matthew Knowles who was the band’s manager.
8. Among the stars - In 2006 the band was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
9. Before Idol - In 1992, the girls were still going by the name Girl’s Tyme. After practicing day in and day out they decided they were ready to show the world what kind of talent they possessed. They performed on the talent competition Star Search, but went on to lose in their category.
10. Where do we belong? The girls started as a rap group but soon realized that the R&B genre better suited them.
Pegasus News Content partner - soso Active