Tuesday, February 5, 2013
State Fair of Texas’ 2013 theme is all about the big guy
Big Tex could never be replaced -- but he's going to be replaced.
According to fair officials, Big Tex will return to his regular spot in Big Tex Circle in Fair Park on opening day, September 27, 2013. After burning down on October 19, 2012, just a few days before last year's fair ended, organizers have hired a Texas-based company to make him anew.
The theme "The One & Only!" makes sense since the old Big Tex stood proudly for 60 years. The new belt-buckled gentleman will be honored during this year's fair, though fair officials won't "divulge specifics," a press release coyly states.
The State Fair of Texas runs September 27-October 20, 2013.
Big Tex Grief Support Group forms on Facebook in wake of Friday's fiery loss
Photos: Flaming Big Tex was popular costume at crazy Cedar Springs Halloween block party
Limited edition Big Tex bobbleheads are back on sale
- Missing green-winged Macaws at State Fair have been found
- UPDATED: Check out videos of Big Tex's new hand and face
- Dallasite Will Schutze travels cross-country to master the art of puppeteer street performance
- 10 vintage ways to experience historic Dallas
- Big Tex -- an inanimate object -- talks in third person, prefers nickname "Big"
- Mysterious restaurant called Remedy to open on Greenville Avenue
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- Review: Queen musical We Will Rock You has just the right camp and swagger