Monday, February 11, 2013 , Updated 11:03 a.m., February 12, 2013
UPDATED with video: Randy Travis sang at ex-sniper Chris Kyle’s memorial
One of Travis' songs is meaningful for the slain former sniper and his wife.
ARLINGTON Country music star Randy Travis performed at the memorial service for slain ex-Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle.
Travis told the nearly 7,000 gathered at Cowboys Stadium on Monday that he was glad to be there, adding that he never met Kyle, but wished he had.
Travis then began playing his guitar and singing "Whisper My Name," which he said Kyle's wife had told him was a meaningful song for the couple. Travis also sang "Amazing Grace."
Kyle and his friend Chad Littlefield were shot and killed February 2 at a North Texas gun range.
Travis has had a string of run-ins with the law over the past year. Last month, he pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in August 2012, when police found him naked after crashing his car.
- Anderson Cooper talks war, being gay and Real Housewives at UT-Arlington
- 11 worst stadium names, in honor of Globe Life Park
- New name for Texas Rangers' ballpark: Globe Life Park in Arlington
- Male Yorkshire Terrier found in Grand Prairie
- Theater review: Four women go soul-searching in Italy in Enchanted April