Monday, February 11, 2013 , Updated 11:03 a.m., February 12, 2013
UPDATED with video: Randy Travis sang at ex-sniper Chris Kyle’s memorial
One of Travis' songs is meaningful for the slain former sniper and his wife.
ARLINGTON Country music star Randy Travis performed at the memorial service for slain ex-Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle.
Travis told the nearly 7,000 gathered at Cowboys Stadium on Monday that he was glad to be there, adding that he never met Kyle, but wished he had.
Travis then began playing his guitar and singing "Whisper My Name," which he said Kyle's wife had told him was a meaningful song for the couple. Travis also sang "Amazing Grace."
Kyle and his friend Chad Littlefield were shot and killed February 2 at a North Texas gun range.
Travis has had a string of run-ins with the law over the past year. Last month, he pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in August 2012, when police found him naked after crashing his car.
- Photos: Cowboys Cheerleaders strut in final rounds of auditions
- Video: Look inside the Dallas Cowboys cheerleader tryouts
- Photos: See a chaps-wearing Pit Bull, a wiener dog dressed as a Boomstick
- Photos: Kids and parents attempt to float their boats at Cardboard Regatta
- Photos: Food truck fest offered Texas-sized fun at Rangers Ballpark at Arlington