Tuesday, February 26, 2013
QuakeCon hits Dallas August 1-4
It's one of our favorites.
I’ve been covering video game events for several years now, and QuakeCon is still one of my favorite things to attend. We’re lucky to have it here and Dallas, and if you’re a local game who’s never been, what are you even doing with yourself?
Most of the reasons I said you should go last year still apply. Wanna see awesome tournaments, cool panels, unreleased games, and awesome modded computers? Want to play PC games on the largest free LAN in North America with a few thousand of your closest friends in the BYOC (Bring Your Own Computer)? QuakeCon was made for you.
In previous years, admittance to QuakeCon’s show floor and panels is completely free. In years past, you could purchase an optional, guaranteed BYOC spot and/or passes that get you to the front of panel lines. I imagine the same will be true this year, but no announcements or prices have been made yet.
They also haven’t announced what guests/games will be available, but maybe this will finally be the year we get a look at Doom 4? id Software employees hinted to me last year that it’s definitely on its way at some point, and that last year’s Doom 3 re-release serves as a good way to get people re-acquainted with the Doom brand.
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- Concert review: Crowds go crazy for diamond-in-the-flesh Lorde in Dallas
- Sarah Jaffe added to stacked Homegrown Fest lineup
- Review: Kessler Cookie Company will keep you coming back for more