Thursday, February 28, 2013
Plano City Council Chambers renamed to honor former mayor Florence Shapiro
Shapiro was at the helm during some of Plano's most rapid growth.
PLANO During the regular Council Meeting on February 25, Plano City Council officially renamed the Plano Municipal Center Council Chambers to the Senator Florence Shapiro Council Chambers. Just inside the north doors now hangs a plaque and portrait in tribute to Senator Shapiro.
Current Plano Mayor Phil Dyer said, “It is an honor befitting, the former mayor and council woman who helped to shape Plano’s future during a time of growth and rapid change. Plano will always be the benefactor of her visionary leadership.”
Shapiro served on the Plano City Council from 1979 to 1990 and was mayor from 1990 to 1992. Then in 1993, she entered the state political arena and earned her spot as a senator in the Texas Legislature. In this role, she continued to serve and support the community that she has called home since 1972. She retired from the state senate last month.
Pegasus News Content partner - North Dallas Gazette
- Cheap Trick, Kool and the Gang and Joan Jett to headline Wildflower fest in Richardson
- Theater review: Go see Out of Sterno in Rover Dramawerks' new Plano space
- Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano is open and smokin'
- Concert review: Willie Nelson keeps rolling, with Asleep at the Wheel joining him
- Theater review: Rehearsal for Murder! is a comedically griping case of whodunit