Wednesday, January 9, 2013 , Updated 9:53 a.m., January 9, 2013
UPDATED: Woman slain in UT Southwestern Med Center garage
A suspect has been arrested, and police have determined that it was not a random act.
DALLAS Dallas police say a woman has been fatally shot in a parking garage at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center by an attacker who then fled.
Police on Wednesday identified the victim as 40-year-old Karen Smith. Her body was discovered Tuesday night on the fourth floor of the garage after someone nearby reported hearing several shots.
UT Southwestern officials say that Smith was an executive assistant at the school and the attack is believed to be an isolated incident.
The campus was locked down for several hours following the gunfire.
UPDATE: The Dallas Morning News reports that Ferdinand Smith, the victim's husband, was arrested.
See more stories in:
- Want to buy Dallas ISD superintendent Mike Miles' home? You'll need $800,000
- TABC says Dallas club promoted "excessive consumption" the night Josh Brent drank there
- Dallas real estate market is hot, hot, hot
- Photos: Check out Dallas' Dans Bois Crete estate, listed for $19.5 million
- Former Dallas mayor Tom Leppert's home reduced to $4.9 million