Wednesday, January 9, 2013 , Updated 9:53 a.m., January 9, 2013
UPDATED: Woman slain in UT Southwestern Med Center garage
A suspect has been arrested, and police have determined that it was not a random act.
DALLAS Dallas police say a woman has been fatally shot in a parking garage at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center by an attacker who then fled.
Police on Wednesday identified the victim as 40-year-old Karen Smith. Her body was discovered Tuesday night on the fourth floor of the garage after someone nearby reported hearing several shots.
UT Southwestern officials say that Smith was an executive assistant at the school and the attack is believed to be an isolated incident.
The campus was locked down for several hours following the gunfire.
UPDATE: The Dallas Morning News reports that Ferdinand Smith, the victim's husband, was arrested.
See more stories in:
- CEO of American Airlines bought giant Strait Lane home in Dallas -- all 20,000 feet of it
- Photos: You probably can't afford these boats, but it's free to look at them
- Neiman Marcus Showcase Home is no longer on the market
- Go back 30 years with Breakfast Club screening Tuesday night
- Photos: Gas Monkey Bar and Grill celebrates the New Year fast and loud