Wednesday, January 9, 2013 , Updated 9:53 a.m., January 9, 2013
UPDATED: Woman slain in UT Southwestern Med Center garage
A suspect has been arrested, and police have determined that it was not a random act.
DALLAS Dallas police say a woman has been fatally shot in a parking garage at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center by an attacker who then fled.
Police on Wednesday identified the victim as 40-year-old Karen Smith. Her body was discovered Tuesday night on the fourth floor of the garage after someone nearby reported hearing several shots.
UT Southwestern officials say that Smith was an executive assistant at the school and the attack is believed to be an isolated incident.
The campus was locked down for several hours following the gunfire.
UPDATE: The Dallas Morning News reports that Ferdinand Smith, the victim's husband, was arrested.
See more stories in:
- Photos: $19.5 million manse features secret wine cellar and sprawling backyard, all in Dallas proper
- Dallas real estate hits new high with $19.5M listing
- Dallas yogis stretch to live dubstep at "Glow-ga" rave
- Dallas Disney Streets offer Cinderella's castle at affordable price
- Photos: Former Trammell Crow exec will sell $9.75M contempo marvel