Thursday, January 24, 2013 , Updated 3:30 p.m., February 8, 2013
Goodnight Ned, The Effinays among local bands competing in Wakarusa Winter Classic
Your vote could send them to the Wakarusa music festival in Arkansas this summer.
DALLAS Contenders for Wakarusa Winter Classic competition were released this week, with less than month to campaign before the battle of the bands.
Local groups Goodnight Ned, We The Sea Lions, Ugly Lion, Gravity Feed, and The Effinays will duke it out at Trees February 9 in an effort to win the crowd’s vote and, in turn, a spot on the Wakarusa music festival lineup. Expect a night of groovy reggae, heady jam, raw folk, and heavy rock tunes.
The 2013 Classic lineup looks strikingly similar to last year’s, as Goodnight Ned, We The Sea Lions, and Gravity Feed return to the stage. Ugly Lion earned the Waka Winter Classic title in 2011 and was booked to play the festival in 2012. The Effinays will be the rookies on the scene.
Aside from the competition, the Waka Winter classic is a special concert where local music enthusiasts show up by the hundreds to support their friends. The upcoming event is moving from 2826 Arnetic to Trees, which is good news for those who attended in 2012 when the wait was more than an hour and the bar ran out of booze.
Wakarusa is celebrating its 10th anniversary during the festival, which runs May 30 through June 2 in Ozark, Ark.
- Video: Dirk honored in NBA Finals commercial
- Dogged pursuit of fun leads pet owners to Deep Ellum's Bark Park
- Theater review: DSM's glittering production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert never "drags"
- Four Corners Brewery hosts Texas barbecue royalty on May 25
- Did you know Mary Suhm was a high school beauty queen in Beaumont? 10 things about her: