Thursday, January 31, 2013
Bossy zebras at Fort Worth Zoo pick Ravens to win Super Bowl
But what do they know?
FORT WORTH The annual Super Bowl tradition at the Fort Worth Zoo didn't go as planned on Thursday.
Tamba the warthog was presented with two papier-mâché footballs with treats inside -- one representing the San Francisco 49ers and the other for the Baltimore Ravens. As Tamba considered his options, zebras Henry and Missy, who also live in the African Diorama habitat, swooped in and devoured the Ravens' football.
Tamba was selected to do the pickin' because of his pigskin. Though the zebras weren't planned to be part of the event, PR Assistant Manager Katie Giangreco said they sure do resemble two referees, with their black and white stripes.
She assures us the footballs were not rigged. Each had carrots and biscuits -- equal amounts -- inside the makeshift footballs.
The zoo has selected animals to pick the Super Bowl winner every year since 1998. Last year, the zoo's one-horned rhino Arun correctly predicted that the New York Giants would win.Follow @sblaskovich
- Theater review: Woman in Black keeps audiences on edge
- Jack FM hosts beer, bourbon and barbecue festival in Fort Worth
- Amon Carter acquires "destination" portrait by American painter John Singer Sargent
- Theater review: Circle Theatre mounts a shocking and absurdly funny Exit, Pursued by a Bear
- South Korean transplant expands “Seoul-searching” dance group to Dallas