Thursday, January 31, 2013
Bossy zebras at Fort Worth Zoo pick Ravens to win Super Bowl
But what do they know?
FORT WORTH The annual Super Bowl tradition at the Fort Worth Zoo didn't go as planned on Thursday.
Tamba the warthog was presented with two papier-mâché footballs with treats inside -- one representing the San Francisco 49ers and the other for the Baltimore Ravens. As Tamba considered his options, zebras Henry and Missy, who also live in the African Diorama habitat, swooped in and devoured the Ravens' football.
Tamba was selected to do the pickin' because of his pigskin. Though the zebras weren't planned to be part of the event, PR Assistant Manager Katie Giangreco said they sure do resemble two referees, with their black and white stripes.
She assures us the footballs were not rigged. Each had carrots and biscuits -- equal amounts -- inside the makeshift footballs.
The zoo has selected animals to pick the Super Bowl winner every year since 1998. Last year, the zoo's one-horned rhino Arun correctly predicted that the New York Giants would win.Follow @sblaskovich
- Salsa Limón opens artsy storefront across from Fort Worth Modern
- Theater review: Trinity Shakespeare Festival adds new twist to an old story in The Taming of the Shrew
- Theater review: Explore 1920s love and lust in Knock Me A Kiss at Jubilee Theater
- Photos: Fort Worth residents Rock the River at lively outdoor event
- Theater review: Fool for Love is a complicated love story propelled by great acting