Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Photos: How many dishes can you make from okra?
Chefs at Okra Palooza at The Lot in East Dallas got creative.
EAST DALLAS If you were pretending to be a chef on the Food Network show Chopped, and you were given a basket of okra, what would you do with it? Sunday at The Lot in East Dallas, chefs competed in Okra Palooza, where they essentially had to create their most interesting dish using okra as the star. There was okra-infused sourdough from Jody Rogers and vegan curried okra from Mara Black -- plus many more.
In the end, the ultimate okra dish went to Chef Graham Dodds of Central 214, who made pickled okra with a slice of ham and peach preserves on a biscuit. Second place went to Greg Brown and Thomas Morris; third was awarded to Andrea Pedigo.
The event raised money for The Promise of Peace Community Garden. Attendees paid $30 per ticket.
Don't drool on your keyboard as you check out some ideas for your next okra home cookin' adventure:
- Mysterious restaurant called Remedy to open on Greenville Avenue
- New growler shop in East Dallas begins filling Lone Star suds today
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- Review: Queen musical We Will Rock You has just the right camp and swagger
- Seafood restaurant Palapas opens on Greenville Ave with two big patios