Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Photos: How many dishes can you make from okra?
Chefs at Okra Palooza at The Lot in East Dallas got creative.
EAST DALLAS If you were pretending to be a chef on the Food Network show Chopped, and you were given a basket of okra, what would you do with it? Sunday at The Lot in East Dallas, chefs competed in Okra Palooza, where they essentially had to create their most interesting dish using okra as the star. There was okra-infused sourdough from Jody Rogers and vegan curried okra from Mara Black -- plus many more.
In the end, the ultimate okra dish went to Chef Graham Dodds of Central 214, who made pickled okra with a slice of ham and peach preserves on a biscuit. Second place went to Greg Brown and Thomas Morris; third was awarded to Andrea Pedigo.
The event raised money for The Promise of Peace Community Garden. Attendees paid $30 per ticket.
Don't drool on your keyboard as you check out some ideas for your next okra home cookin' adventure:
- DFW reality TV stars to perform in Dallas Arboretum series
- Amber Carrington will open for headliners of the Country Fair this weekend
- Q-and-A: The Grape's Danyele McPherson flips leftovers into staff's main course
- Theater review: Gangly crew of puppets drag audiences to Nowhere City in The Best Seat in Town
- Renovated Stanley Marcus estate used to have orange Formica counters