Sunday, July 7, 2013
5 tips to lower your A/C bill by raising your home’s energy efficiency
Avoid the sky-high costs with these surefire ideas.
Around this time of year, the cocktail party talk changes from how Sally and Bobby are doing in school to how ridiculous the last electric bill was. In Texas at least, you wouldn’t imagine going without air conditioning. In fact, just the thought of our A/C going out has me knocking on wood! So sky-high electric costs may seem unavoidable.
That doesn’t have to be the case, though. If you want to save a few bucks, make your home more energy efficient, and do a good turn for Mother Nature at the same time, consider following these fast tips on making your home ready for the summer heat.
1. Get an energy audit. You can get a referral from your electric company, and sometimes even get a discount on a professional home energy audit that way. Or you can do one yourself. Whichever method you choose, an audit is a great way to find out where your money is best spent on making your home more energy efficient.
2. Change your air conditioning filter. This can make a system sometimes 15 percent more efficient just by making sure the filter is clear. It takes extra energy to push air through a clogged filter, and filters aren’t too pricey that you can change them monthly. So do it!
3. Have your air conditioning unit tuned up every summer. This is a widely recommended suggestion that will keep your system more reliable for summers to come. You can go the DIY route if you have a window unit. For central air, call in a pro.
4. Install a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats come in all different styles and shapes, from the super sleek to the basic, and some can be accessed via WiFi! You don’t need to keep the house super cool when you’re not there, so program the system to take a bit of a break during the day.
5. Ceiling fans are a must! I am a huge fan of ceiling fans, and they are a great way to cool down rooms more efficiently, especially those with high ceilings. There are tons of great styles that will fit just about any room.
Pegasus News Content partner - Candy's Dirt