Monday, July 8, 2013
10 things Dallasites love to hate
Take your peace and love to Austin.
DALLAS Dallas may be known for great patios, excellent Tex-Mex, and a spirited sports fan base, but some days you've been listening to the Cowboys while stuck on LBJ for an hour and you just need a good old-fashioned hometown bitchfest. So hop on a sweltering porch, grab a stale taco, swill an overpriced margarita, and strike up a conversation about one of these 10 things Dallasites love to hate. Better to laugh than cry.
1. The heat - Sweating through your favorite shirt isn't an anomaly in Texas, it's a birth right. While we love the heat during mild months like October and November, the summer's constant sizzle is the ideal topic to start this list.
2. Jerry Jones - From the bronzed skin to the bleached hair, Jerry Jones is Dallas' most love-to-hate man. You built a $1B stadium? Thanks. But please, get the Cowboys to the playoffs this year.
3. Houston - Bigger isn't always better, and Houston is the perfect example of this.
4. Tony Romo - You know what's bigger than Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo's ears? The amount of hate reserved for him after another botched fourth quarter. C'mon Romo, do better and maybe — just maybe — we'll like you then.
5. Traffic - Simply put, Dallas traffic is the worst.
6. Californians - Thanks to our booming economy, folks from across the nation are flocking to Texas' big cities. We welcome all to our state with open arms, except for those pesky Californians. Totally not chill, brah.
7. Bad Tex-Mex - In Dallas, authentic, tasty Tex-Mex cuisine is just a stone's throw away. Maybe that's why we get so angry when we're served beans from a can and queso that can only resemble Velveeta.
8. Hipsters - The beards. The plaid shirts. The ironic glasses. Almost everything about Dallas' few, and thankfully far between, hipsters makes us want to roll our eyes ... forever.
9. The DART - We love the idea of public transit. We just love the idea of hating DART more. Things that could fix this? More rail lines, to start. And being on time, yeah, more of that.
10. Overpriced cocktails - Dallas is experiencing a shift in its bar scene where more and more Dallasites are willing to pay over $15 for a simply shaken drink. This isn't Sex and the City, we like our drinks two ways, cheap and potent. You could, of course, make your own.
See more stories in:
- Mysterious restaurant called Remedy to open on Greenville Avenue
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- Review: Queen musical We Will Rock You has just the right camp and swagger