Monday, July 8, 2013
Photos: Volkswagens compete for “best display of rust” and “best survivor”
Maybe we're inspired by Herbie, but really, these V-Dubs sure do have some personality.
CARROLLTON The Dub Splash Car show at Sandy Lake Amusement Park in Carrollton was no ordinary car show: There wasn't a single $100,000 vehicle in sight, no revving engines. No, this event was all about Volkswagens, new and old. The contest even crowned winners for "best display of rust" and "most crap on a luggage rack."
The car show didn't only feature clunkers, though. Passersby marveled at the Volkswagen Thing, and peeked inside the rolling time-capsule that was a 1955 Volkswagen bus with its original paint, original interior, original glass, and original wheels. (It won "best survivor," and as you'll see in the photos, it still looks pretty dang good.)
Whether you proudly support the VW or not, there's no denying how cool some of these babies are:
- Firefighters battle paper fire in 100-degree weather
- New kayaking company offers adventures on the Trinity
- Theater review: Accompany a father on a journey between religion and culture in Fiddler on the Roof
- Police seek information about July 6 fatality on I-35E in Carrollton
- Two Dallas men drowned in Carrollton Saturday night