Monday, July 22, 2013
Denton gets its own craft beer festival called Canned this October
The curators of Untapped are going Denton-style and serving craft beers in cans. Tickets are cheaper, too.
DENTON We’ve joked about having a beer festival for every occasion in DFW, but events of the bubbly kind usually cater to urban dwellers in Dallas and Fort Worth. The curators of Untapped festival are branching out this fall and bringing a Denton-style brew fest to the college town.
Canned is a hybrid music and beer festival coming to the Denton Square October 5. Like its predecessors, Canned will offer sudsy samples from more than 25 craft breweries alongside an indie music lineup. The difference is that brews will be served from cans rather than taps, following the latest trend in distribution, according to a press release.
"It's also cool because [Denton is] so green," said Annette Marin of Spune production company, which is throwing Canned. "We're going to take some opportunities to make recycling a big part of the fest."
Many breweries, local and cross-country, have begun offering their beers by the can. In March, David Wedemeier of Martin House Brewing Company told Pegasus News he decided to do so because cans are more cost effective and maintain the beers’ flavor by blocking exposure to light.
Another perk of canned beer, Wedemeier said, is transportability, which could be key in a town like Denton, where many travel on bike.
Headlining bands for the festival include Menomena, The Helio Sequence, and Joe Pug. They'll be joined by local bands Chambers, Pageantry, Hares on the Mountain, and A.M. Ramblers. The list of participating breweries has yet to be announced.
Tickets to the event are currently on sale in three tiers: concert plus beer tasting ($25), concert only ($17 in advance, $20 at the door), or VIP with fest paraphernalia and free barbecue ($40).
If you can’t make it to Untapped Dallas in September, you now have another (notably cheaper) chance to catch a buzz.
- Rahr & Sons will begin distributing canned beer in January 2014
- Review: Canned festival in Denton took the pretentiousness out of beer tasting
- 10 craft beers to try at Canned festival in Denton
- 9 things to do this weekend in Dallas-Fort Worth, October 4-6
- 7 ways to enjoy walkable Denton while you're there for Canned festival
- Undead apply here: Electric Zombie Run seeks racers and zombies
- Theater review: The Color Purple at Denton Community Theatre lacks depth and direction
- Sky's the limit: Denton planetarium caters to young audiences this summer
- Bowling For Soup records music video at Denton's Rockin' Rodeo
- Meet Dog Days of Denton's 2014 spokesdog