Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Rumor mill: Cowboys training moving into “sports central” Frisco
No wonder Tony and Candice Romo are building a home in Glen Abbey.
FRISCO I got word of this early this morning from my realtor pal Brad Holden, but it took some serious coffee for me to put two and two together: No wonder Tony and Candice are building in Glen Abbey. Yes, that’s confirmed, and I am just about to find out who the builder is.
Glen Abbey is gorgeous and secure and all that, but it’s also going to be oh so convenient to the new Cowboys training facility at Frisco Station. That’s the northwest intersection of the Dallas North Tollway and Warren Parkway, where Brad says the football action will be on a 317-acre site. Brad says Houston-based Hines Development recently unveiled plans for 4.5 million square feet of office, 40 acres of retail space, 2 hotels (1 full service and 1 limited service), and single family homes with apartments and town homes added to the mix.
And now, the Cowboys' training base!
Then what’s really cool is that when the indoor facility is built, they will SHARE the complex with the Frisco Independent School District! And this, says Brad, will only make Frisco rule as a sports nirvana, bringing in large tournaments, playoff games, possibly even bowl games. Who’d have thunk it?
Already I’m told Frisco real estate sales are on fire. Which is a bad pun, forgive me, given the fact that some moron(s) may be burning down empty homes up there in the Grayhwak subdivision. Brad says he has sold 110 houses since last March in three communities.
Having America’s team practice facility in Frisco also would mean that student residents in FISD athletics will most likely have the chance to play their playoff and championship games in the facility like they do currently at the FC Dallas Stadium.
Cha-ching: Frisco real estate could be hotter than ever. (Oh dear, bad joke.)
Now Brad seems very certain about this news. Other news outlets are reporting this MAYBE will happen: WFAA-TV Channel 8 says:
- “The land in Frisco that could become the next home of the Cowboys is located just off the Dallas North Tollway at Warren Parkway, not far from the Stonebriar Centre Mall. It would be the latest jewel in a Frisco sports crown that already includes the Dallas Stars, Frisco RoughRiders, and FC Dallas.”
- “Sources said work remains before the team severs ties with its home of 28 years at Valley Ranch in Irving to travel north. It’s doubtful an announcement will be made in the next few days or weeks … Preliminary indications are the Cowboys would make the move before the start of the 2016 season.”
The move would totally make Frisco a North Texas “sports central” with headquarters that already includes the Dallas Stars, Frisco RoughRiders, and FC Dallas.
But poor Irving – not! The Cowboys built their new stadium in Arlington, and now the Byron Nelson is moving to a new golf course in South Dallas. Gotta stay relevant!
“My guess is that if they get things going sooner than later, the Cowboys could either make the move in 2015 or 2016,” says Brad. “(By this time the Dallas Cowboys will have another 2 Super Bowl trophies, though.)”
If you say so, Brad: Frisco is, he says, and will be THE place to be in the future.
At least until the Irving empire strikes back!
Pegasus News Content partner - Candy's Dirt
See more stories in:
- UPDATED: Pan-Latin restaurant called Mexican Sugar in Plano is open
- UPDATED: DFW's second East Hampton Sandwich Co. to open at Shops at Legacy November 6
- Parked car causes early morning house fire in Frisco
- FC Dallas partners with Plano Symphony Orchestra to bring family-friendly fun to Frisco
- Frisco High School adds auditorium and gym courts in $20 million renovation