Tuesday, June 11, 2013 , Updated 5:25 p.m., October 21, 2013
UPDATED: Fine dining restaurant Kitchen LTO opens in West Dallas September 11
The space will be designed and decorated by local firm Coeval.
[UPDATE: Lunch service begins
September 30 October 21. See the menus below.]
California native Chef Norman Grimm will curate the menu, and John Paul Valverde and Miguel Vicens of Coeval Studios will design the interior space. Both were chosen by a vote launched from May 30 to June 10.
Grimm has spent 23 years as a chef, and his modern French approach to cuisine is inspired in part by his one year spent in South France, he told us. At the Kitchen LTO open house in late May, Grimm served my favorite dish, a tuna tartare topped with Asian pear, Sriracha, and rice crispies.
Grimm was most recently the executive chef at Acme F&B and said he chose to leave and focus his efforts into Kitchen LTO after the restaurant’s concept shifted toward more “of a bar party scene.” His vision for his four-month residency at Trinity Groves is a fine dining establishment with upscale food, but with a more relaxed vibe, he explained.
“I think fine dining is alive,” Grimm said. “Fine dining has changed over the years — people are not looking to have a stuffy experience … it’s really about the food.”
Coeval designers Valverde and Vicens plan to aesthetically compliment Chef Grimm’s ideas with a “casual refined” and “fresh” feel that emphasizes clean lines and modern decor. They plan to cover one main wall of the restaurant with a patterned vinyl material that, as the months go by, will continually transform. Employees will periodically remove pieces of the textured vinyl to create a new and ever-changing display.
“The point is to showcase what the idea of [Kitchen LTO] is about,” said Vicens in reference to shape-shifting model of the restaurant.
In the coming weeks, the designers will be choosing fixtures and art installations in line with Grimm’s modern French style of cuisine. Per Kitchen LTO guidelines, designers are given $12,000 to work with. The duo will also be posting updates of the design process on the studio's Facebook as the space takes shape.
Kitchen LTO lunch menu
See more stories in:
- UPDATED: See Kitchen LTO's "new American" menu before the opening February 5
- Meet the 8 chefs and designers competing for a spot at Kitchen LTO
- Biggest restaurant openings and closings in Dallas in 2013
- New fusion restaurant opened in West Dallas just before New Year's
- Hybrid Cajun restaurant and seafood market now open in Trinity Groves
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July
- Bite City Grill expected to open in Fort Worth's West Seventh district this month
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- See new Toadies documentary Monday at the Kessler
- Concert review: Crowds go crazy for diamond-in-the-flesh Lorde in Dallas