Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Wu-Tang Clan, Matt & Kim among headliners for new Breakaway Festival in Frisco
The event co-founder says he wants to cater to "under-served" musical markets.
FRISCO Festival season in North Texas is becoming busier by the day. Tuesday, FC Dallas announced that Frisco's FC Dallas soccer stadium will play host to Wu-Tang Clan, Empire of the Sun, and Big Gigantic, among others, on September 21 for the inaugural Breakaway Festival.
The lineup impressively swings from one end of the musical spectrum to the other, posing indie groups like Matt & Kim against electronic groups like Crizzly and hip-hop acts like Juicy J. Folded into the mix of nationally acclaimed bands are locals Booty Fade, Dark Rooms, Oil Boom, and Yeahdef, and the festival has more announcements to come. (See the current lineup below.)
According to a press release, the production company behind the event aims to marry the worlds of sports and music. Breakaway is hitting Dallas as well as production company Prime Social Group's home base of Columbus, Ohio, where the fest will take place at the Columbus Crew Stadium. Curiously, the festivals do not have the same lineup. (We're missing Bassnectar and Kendrick Lamar in Dallas: Sadface.)
For about a month, Breakaway’s Twitter account alluded to planting its roots in the Dallas area. The festival would coyly tweet, “Big things happen here” with pieces of the fest logo.
Adam Lynn, co-founder of Prime Social, recently told Billboard he has plans to expand the festival in coming years, with two- and three-day festivals in both flagship cities. When asked about expansion to new cities, Lynn said he wants to cater to “under-served” markets.
Tickets for Breakaway Dallas go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday, June 21 and start at $49; however, FC Dallas season ticket-holders can get exclusive access to pre-sales through Prime Social’s official website.
Breakaway lineup (so far):
- Wu-Tang Clan
- Empire of the Sun
- Big Gigantic
- Matt & Kim
- Explosions in the Sky
- Juicy J
- Danny Avila
- Ra Ra Riot
- Lil Twist
- Booty Fade
- Dark Rooms
- Oil Boom
See more stories in:
- Toyota Stadium in Frisco: The most competitive concert venue in DFW?
- UPDATED: Clearfork Music Festival in Fort Worth highlights southern boogie music
- Up-and-coming bands face difficult realities when music is free
- 28 can't-miss shows in Dallas, including The Eagles and Justin Timberlake
- Report: Tourism in Frisco up 14% since 2008
- UPDATED: Jimmy Buffett sails back to Frisco for June 21 concert
- Theater review: Take a lesson in morality from The Foreigner in Frisco
- Former Dallas Cowboys player Gerald Sensabaugh's Frisco home is for sale
- Photos: Fancy Sunday Night Football bus kicks off the season in Frisco
- FC Dallas partners with Plano Symphony Orchestra to bring family-friendly fun to Frisco