Saturday, June 15, 2013 , Updated 11:22 a.m., June 17, 2013
Photos: Meet Ali Nugent, from North Texas, who competed for Miss USA crown Sunday
And see Miss Utah's flub below.
Dallas native Ali Nugent won the title of Miss Texas USA 2013 last September. She did not win the competition in Las Vegas on Sunday, but here are a few bits of information about the hometown woman:
- She won her first pageant title, "Miss Gingerbread," when she was 18 months old.
- Nugent told ABC she just wanted to place in the top 15 and was surprised to win.
- Ali Nugent says her strongest asset is her ability to get along with others.
- Nugent's hobbies include spending time with family, traveling, soccer, hockey, basketball, tennis, volleyball, cheerleading, and figure skating.
- Nugent has 43 cousins and describes herself as "very patient."
- Nugent has worked with a variety of charities including Best Buddies, Kids Matter International, Clothe the Child and Terra Biotech's One-2-One.
- Ali Nugent told Miss Texas USA that a woman should "be independent, strong, motivated, successful, driven, and determined."
- When asked by Miss Texas USA organizes whom she most admires, Ali Nugent responded, "It is a tie between my mom and dad. They are both the most motivating, determined and persistent people I know." Nugent wants to follow her parents, whose family business goal is to defeat global malnutrition.
- Nugent is now majoring in marketing/entrepreneurship at Collin College in Frisco.
UPDATE: Miss Connecticut, Erin Brady, won the Miss USA pageant. But it was Miss Utah who's been making headlines for her bumbling Q-and-A session, where she said she wanted to "create education better."