Thursday, June 20, 2013
12 hot things to do this weekend in DFW, June 20-23
Get outside, there's tons of fun out there.
- Robert Plant comes to town Thursday at Palladium Ballroom, this time with his band The Sensational Space Shifters. We hear there will be wicked guitar shredding.
- Grab a tube and head to Panther Island Pavilion for Rockin' the River, a free summer concert event on the Trinity River in Fort Worth. Thursday, you'll find Jonathan Tyler and Whiskey Folk Ramblers performing.
- In honor of Monsters University coming out this weekend, go see the first flick, Monsters, Inc., in Denton. Bring a blanket and a chair; you'll be sitting outside.
- This weekend, Big Tex's belt buckle will be on display at Summer Adventures at Fair Park. His belt buckle is one of the few items that survived in the fire.
- Check out Dallas' newest food truck park near Love Field Airport. You'll find a regular rotation of meals-on-wheels, plus an air-conditioned room and beer & wine for sale.
- If you'd rather enjoy the outdoors all night, head to the Dallas Arts District for the Summer Block Party. Streets will be closed so you can peruse the museums for free. Bring cash for food and drinks.
- The Best Little Brewfest in Texas is hardly little: It boasts more than 50 craft brewers offering sips of their suds at Texas Motor Speedway. A $30-$35 ticket will get you samples and free music.
- An all-day jazz fest in Oak Cliff features some of North Texas' finest musicians, like Freddie Jones and Shelley Carroll. Tickets are $10-$20.
- Stop into Trees Saturday night for an Extreme Midget Wrestling tournament. Billed the "baddest little show on Earth," you're bound to see some midget mayhem.
- Bret Michaels is playing at The Rail Club in Fort Worth. We're not sure why, but we do know some tickets are still available.
- Looking for a kid-friendly event this hot summer? The Recycle Reef recently opened at the Perot Museum in Dallas. The exhibit is made of entirely recyclable materials -- pretty cool.
- Party girl extraordinaire Ke$ha performs Sunday night at Gexa Energy Pavilion in Dallas. Pitbull also performs. Expect a huge dance party and a lot of drinking.