Thursday, June 20, 2013
Get funky this weekend at Oak Cliff Jazz Fest
Expect a day of tunes on Saturday.
OAK CLIFF The Oak Cliff Jazz Fest on Saturday is in ... you guessed it ... Oak Cliff. But for those who haven't explored Oak Cliff beyond the Bishop Arts District, this swanky, crafty festival is six miles south. And worth the trip.
Trumpeter Freddie Jones, who performed at Jazz Under the Stars at the Dallas Museum of Art last year, will grace the stage, as well as Mississippi saxophonist Alphonso Sanders, vocalist Carolyn Lee Jones, and local jazz musicians Funky Knuckles. An ample array of art including ceramics, soaps, handmade crafts, candles, yard art, and more will be for sale.
Guests can bring their own lawn chair or blanket; small beverage coolers only. The festival organizers ask that nothing "harder" than beer or wine be brought to the event -- so leave the moonshine at home. Food will be for sale at the fest.
Tickets purchased by June 20 are $15 for adults, $10 for youth (age 11 to 18). After that, tickets cost $20 for adults, $15 for youths. Parking is free.
- Taco review: Stick with the meat dishes at excellent La Guadalupana
- Photos: Glam girls get all dolled up at Barbie's temporary house in Dallas
- Photos: Cutie patootie tudor proves Oak Cliff's still the hot 'hood
- North Texas Food Bank may be short on funds, but also full of hope
- Taco review: It's all about barbacoa at Rosita's Taqueria