Thursday, June 20, 2013
First look: Take your dog on a date to Mutts Canine Cantina in Uptown, now open
We couldn't help but feel like we were sitting at Shake Shack in Manhattan.
DALLAS Here's the rule: If you don't really love dogs, the new burger stand and dog park in Uptown Dallas isn't for you. But with the appropriate name Mutts Canine Cantina, the new hotspot was full of dog lovers on opening night on Wednesday -- which meant that a lick on the elbow from someone's German Shepherd or a new furry friend lounging near the bar were welcome quirks at a place brimming with young urban dwellers.
The concept is simple and casual: Dogs are allowed on-leash on the restaurant patio, or Fido can roam in the big or little dog park attached to the restaurant/bar while the humans eat or drink. (It's $4.99 for one-time park use or $9.99 for unlimited monthly access, and I saw dozens of people signing up for the monthly pass.) Those who can snag a spot at the first come, first served picnic tables can order burgers, hot dogs, shakes, or alcoholic beverages. The menu is straightforward, including items like a cheeseburger, turkey burger, and hot dogs with mustard. Spicing up the menu is the Jessica Biel, an Andouille sausage on a poppy seed bun with pepper mix. It's apparently "mighty hot, just like Jessica Biel," says the menu.
Treats for (very lucky) dogs include a dessert with homemade Henry's custard, a scoop of peanut butter, and a dog treat.
I couldn't help but notice Mutts' simliarities to Manhattan's Shake Shack. Compare a photo of Mutts to Shake Shack and you'll see the striking resemblance. The food is similar, too: Shake Shack serves a limited number of burgers, 'dogs, and custards, and they even have puppy treats. Both serve crinkle cut fries.
If Mutts can achieve even part of the success Shake Shack has, it'll be wildly popular in Dallas.
Opening night at Mutts, servers were friendly, happily stepping over my chocolate Lab Suzie who insisted on sitting in their walkway. The restaurant/bar/dog park run by Josh Sepkowitz, Jeremy Frazer, and Kyle Noonan (and their dogs) has great potential with its buzzy location and dog-on-a-date concept. I'll be back.
Mutts is located at 2889 Cityplace West Blvd., and is open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week.
- Biggest restaurant openings and closings in Dallas in 2013
- UPDATED: Dallas' first ramen restaurant is now open
- Review: Mutts Canine Cantina provides relaxing haven for two and four legs
- 39 things Dallasites love to love
- 6 places in DFW to take your dog -- besides work -- on Take Your Dog to Work Day
- Mysterious restaurant called Remedy to open on Greenville Avenue
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- Review: Queen musical We Will Rock You has just the right camp and swagger