Wednesday, June 26, 2013
DFW’s top 5 Independence Day celebrations
Can we get some Lee Greenwood up in here?
Independence Day is nearly upon us, so we've rounded up all the best fireworks celebrations in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Here are our top 5.
1. Market Street USA in Allen (June 29): The city of Allen’s early Independence Day event features a 20- to 25-minute fireworks show. The fun also includes music by Emerald City Band, Dennis DeYoung performing the music of Styx, Heidi Zetti Band, the Indecision, the Kassy Levels Band, and blues artist Joey Love. Food, inflatables, crafts, and games round out the day’s attractions. June 29 from 4 to 10 p.m. at Celebration Park, 701 Angel Parkway.
2. Lone Stars and Stripes in Grand Prairie (July 3-4): The 17th annual celebration is a two-night event. It features a 20-minute fireworks display choreographed to music by Kiss FM (KHKS-FM 106.1) on July 3 and The Wolf (KPLX-FM 99.5) on July 4. There’ll also be live music by Vegas Stars on July 3 and Incognito on July 4, pony rides, a petting zoo, bounce houses, and games. July 3-4 at Lone Star Park, 1000 Lone Star Parkway.
3. Kaboom Town in Addison (July 3): This has been rated by AOL and Forbes as one of the country’s top fireworks shows. Addison’s celebration features a 30-minute display choreographed to music, the Addison Airport Air Show, family games, military bands, performances by the Dallas Wind Symphony, and an after-party on the Dos Equis Main Stage featuring Emerald City Band. Prefer to sit on a patio in Addison and watch the show? Here's a list of bars hosting patio parties. July 3 at Addison Circle Park.
4. MetroPCS Fair Park Fourth in Dallas (July 4): Kick back, relax, and enjoy a 16-minute fireworks show, a performance of patriotic favorites by the Dallas Wind Symphony, dancing water shows at the Esplanade Fountain, performances by Quiver and Havana NRG, chances to visit Fair Park’s historic museums, swan boats, kids activities, and a performance by Motion following the fireworks show. July 4 from 4:30 to 11:30 p.m. at Fair Park, 1300 Robert B. Cullum Blvd. Fireworks will begin at 9:30.
5. Red White and Boom in McKinney (July 4): This two-location event will begin downtown with a parade, shopping and a classic-car show. It will end at the McKinney Soccer Complex at Craig Ranch, where there’ll be family activities, bounce houses, games, food, and live entertainment by American Idol finalist Jason Castro, followed by a fireworks show. July 4, with activities starting at 10 a.m. in downtown McKinney.
- Video: 4 best bets in Dallas-Fort Worth this weekend
- "Indoor fireworks" at the Meyerson on July 4: Break out the fire extinguisher?
- 8 DFW food and drink events to make your weekend a blast
- Frisco celebrates Fourth of July with family fun and fireworks
- You don't want to watch fireworks? 6 other ways to light your bulb this Fourth
- Allen's first brewery slated to open mid-2014
- Bring your Jedi dogs to Petco in Allen for Star Wars party this Saturday
- Allen Performing Arts Center will host Dallas Symphony on September 5
- Restaurant review: Come to Papa Lopez for decent Mexican food, charming atmosphere
- Allen's newest park features fitness equipment for adults