Thursday, March 28, 2013
5 reasons why Demi Lovato’s return to X Factor is warranted
Her chemistry with Simon is natural and amusing.
Demi Lovato will be returning to The X Factor when the show comes back for its third season this fall. There are many reasons why this doesn’t come as a surprise. Here are my five reasons why it was obvious that Demi would be back at the judges’ table.
1. What a Girl Wants - In February, Demi said she would love to return to the show -- and why wouldn’t she? She seemed like she was having a blast. Now, hopefully she will work on her mentoring skills, because some of her contestants went through some very wacky performances while she was overseeing them. Having said that, she was a good judge for the most part. Not as good as Nicki Minaj has proven to be on American Idol, but good nonetheless.
2. Simon Says Chemistry – The interaction between judges on the previous season of The X Factor was almost as bland as it has been the last five seasons of American Idol. The only interesting thing happening in the panel, other than Britney’s funny faces, was Demi’s interaction with Simon. This chemistry was even stronger when they appeared together on talk shows. That is something that you can’t force, and for the most part, it seemed natural. Also, Simon seems to really like her, even when she would not let him talk. Will the chemistry on the panel be as good as it is on The Voice? I doubt it.
3. Smells Like Teen Spirit – Demi is one of the youngest (if not the youngest) judges to appear on a show like this, which gives the show an audience that can be fed-up with TV competitions and would prefer spending countless hours on Tumblr, YouTube, and Twitter. Demi, who currently has more than 12 million followers on Twitter, has a very strong (and vocal) teenage fandom who follow her every move. It is a smart move to keep someone who can bring those viewers.
4. Shake It Up, Shake It Up! – Can The X Factor survive so many shake-ups? So far we know that L.A. Reid, Britney Spears, and Khloe Kardashian will not be returning to the show next season. This leaves Simon, Demi, and possibly Mario Lopez. This would be the second season that the show loses most of his cast, and unless this is the show’s modus operandi (which I doubt), it can give the idea that the show is just simply unstable. Then again, I am very glad that the Kardashian Khaos is a thing of the past.
5. Britney’s Deficit - Yes, Spears is an iconic performer who revolutionized pop music, but she just wasn’t spectacular on the show. She looked bored, and her critiques to the contestants were less than inspired. She lucked out with Carly Rose Sonenclar, who was in my opinion the strongest contestant last season, but I don’t think Brit had much to do with how far the pint-sized songstress made it in the competition. Also, how many times can you repeat “that’s amazing” as your sole critique? Demi was simply stronger, she wasn’t afraid to go after certain contestants knowing that they were competition. She was spunky, bratty, and at times irreverent towards the almighty Simon -- which made for great TV.
Are you excited for Demi’s return? Do you think The X Factor will survive a third season?