Thursday, March 28, 2013
It’s National “Something On a Stick” Day: Here are our 5 faves
Come to think of it, this list could have been much longer.
In the catalog of quirky holidays that we, as a nation, choose to celebrate, National Something On a Stick Day is certainly the most ambiguous. Are we celebrating everything that happens to be on a stick? Scarecrows and protest signs included?
Forget the fuss, let’s just treat National Something on a Stick Day like we do the rest of national holidays — with food.
In fact, when it comes to putting food on sticks, there is no better venue than the State Fair of Texas. Prepare your arteries as we take a look back at some of State Fair’s best and most creative speared offerings.
1. Fried Italian Meatballs (Finalist, 2005 Big Tex Choice Awards)
2. Fried Bubblegum (Most Creative, 2011 Big Tex Choice Awards)
3. Fried Mexican Fire Crackers (Finalist, 2012 Big 12 Choice Awards)
4. Picnic On a Stick (Finalist, 2012 Big 12 Choice Awards)
5. And of course – the best food on a stick that ever existed – Fletcher’s Corny Dog