Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Top 5 reasons I can’t wait for Dallas’ third season
But, we won't get to see its 15 new episodes until early 2014.
As our Robert Wilonsky (fastest typing fingers in the West) reported just a bit ago, our beloved Dallas will return for a third season on TNT, with 15 new episodes to begin airing in early 2014.
As someone who’s fervently watched (and recapped) all 27 episodes of the first two seasons, here are my Top 5 reasons why I’m thrilled to look forward to another season of the wheeling, dealing, scheming, and cheating Ewings.
1. John Ross Ewing, a.k.a. actor Josh Henderson, who has grown immensely as an actor and seems poised to take the conniving-charming reins of his father, the late J.R. (portrayed by the late, great Larry Hagman). He’s got the grin, he’s got the swagger, and he most certainly has the sex appeal.
2. Sue Ellen Ewing, a.k.a. actor Linda Gray. The woman is a goddess. If she doesn’t get an Emmy nomination this year, I may storm the ceremony myself with a stack of write-in ballots. Sue Ellen’s half-drunk scene at J.R.’s funeral was one of the best pieces of TV acting I’ve ever seen.
3. The possibility of an Elena (Jordana Brewster)-Pamela (Julie Gonzalo) vs. Christopher (Jesse Metcalfe)-John Ross battle of wits, money, and treachery (suggested by my colleague Nancy Churnin, and I love it). Pamela (Julie Gonzalo) doesn’t know yet that her new hubby John Ross is cheating on her, but she surely will, and Elena Ramos is feeling betrayed over J.R.’s dastardly theft of her father’s land a generation ago (but Ewings, and apparently Ramoses, have LONG memories). John Ross and Christopher, watch your backs. What would be even more awesome is if Sue Ellen somehow sided with the other women. STILETTO POWER RULES!
4. The possibility of more screen time for nascent villain Harris Ryland (Mitch Pileggi) and his Evil Witch mother, Judith (Judith Light). Judith was shipped off to a “rehab center” last season, but I’m desperately hoping she comes back, if only for her not-quite-Texas but totally unctuous “Southern drawl.” That creepy pseudo-incest thing they’ve got going brings so-horrid-they’re-fabulous “ewwwwww!” emotions every time they have a scene together. Also, I vote strongly for Pileggi to become the major foe for the Ewings — sorry Ken Kercheval, but your character of Cliff Barnes just leaves me feeling “meh.”
5. I’m still holding out for Victoria Principal to come back as the original Pamela Barnes Ewing (current Pamela’s aunt). She’s said she won’t, and so has TNT, and her character was “definitively” shown to be dead last season, via a death certificate. But really? Anyone who’s ever watched a soap knows that no one is ever really, most sincerely dead. I know of at least one daytime soap where someone has come back from the dead TWICE. And wouldn’t that set up a wonderful Pamela-Bobby (Patrick Duffy)-Ann (Brenda Strong) triangle?
What are you looking forward to in Season Three? Let us know in comments.