Monday, May 20, 2013
Photos: Homegrown hopmasters debut new beers at Brew Riot in Oak Cliff
It was a sudsy Sunday.
OAK CLIFF A beer festival on a sunny Sunday afternoon in May: a classic way to usher in summer. But the annual Brew Riot in Oak Cliff took the festival a hop, skip, and a jump further, this year offering a 1.1-mile Brew Run before all the festivities on Sunday, May 19. Now, beer was still part of this health'n'fitness event: Runners were required to drink an 8-ounce beer at selected locations before finishing the short jog.
Then, it was more 21-and-up fun at Brew Riot, which hosted more than 60 teams of homebrewers trying to win over the judges' tastebuds.
Judges chose winners in five categories -- ales, specialty, Belgian and French ale, IPA, and lager. Oak Highlands Brewery took first in both ale and Belgian and French ale. Other firsts went to: Mossberg Brewing (specialty); The Manhattan Project (IPA); and Cockeyed Brews (lager).
The People's Choice award went to DeadCowboy Brewing Company.
Win or lose, the day was mostly about sampling homegrown beer from local hopmasters.
- Joule Hotel expansion brings cocktails, fashion, food to downtown Dallas
- Omni Hotel in Dallas becomes drive-in movie theater for one night
- Review: Taco Wagon's renovation yields sincere "north of the border" style
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at video game development at Gearbox Community Day
- Photos: See 10 high-dollar cars sold at Dallas auction, like $3.2 mil Corvette