Sunday, May 26, 2013
Ready your summer playlist with these 15 breezy tunes
From hip-hop to indie, these songs are seasonal must-haves.
With the weather heating up and summer fast approaching, here are the top jams – old and new, covering a little bit of every genre – to quickstart your summer celebrations.
1. “Can’t Hold Us” – Macklemore and Ryan Lewis: When there’s an opportunity to add Mackelmore to your playlist, you take it. “Can’t Hold Us” is an excellent kickstart to your summer with its lyrics about making the most out of life. It’s a party jam for your upcoming summer parties.
2. “Hey Love” – Quadron: “Hey Love”‘s smoky vocals and spunky beats make this track a chill dance number perfect for this summer.
3. “Differentology” – Bunji Garlin: “Differentology” has every component of a perfect summer jam – piano chords, a nice rhythm and a Spanish guitar strumming in the background. This Trinidadian track could belong at a beach rave, a carnival, or any street party.
4. “Deadbeat Summer” – Neon Indian: Neon Indian made a big first impression at last year’s Coachella. Their techno track about summer is a must for any summer playlist.
5. “That Summer Feeling” – Jonathon Richman: It sounds like the happiest summer song to ever be recorded, but the haunting chorus quickly tells you that assumptions is wrong. Sure, it talks about the wonderful things about summer, but it also reminds you how nothing else will compare. So, don’t waste your summer days.
6. “Happy Hour” – The Housemartins: Summer usually comes with at least one road trip and “Happy Hour” is the perfect song for long car rides. It’s a nice, fun, upbeat tune to pass the seemingly never-ending time spent on the road.
7. “Margaritaville” – Jimmy Buffett: It’s the original summer jam. That’s the only explanation it needs.
8. “Mirrors” – Justin Timberlake: It’d be a shame to waste Justin Timberlake’s return without attaching him to a summer playlist. “Mirrors” is the perfect relaxed, yet upbeat jam for the summer.
9. “Radioactive” – Imagine Dragons: After a quick rise from obscurity, Imagine Dragons have taken over nearly every movie trailer this summer making “Radioactive” a perfect track for the summer.
10. "I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)" – The Proclaimers: This is another road trip ready song. Because, honestly, who doesn’t like this song?
11. “Hindou” – El Guincho: Canary Island native El Guincho’s song is the personification of summer.
12. “Rockaway Beach” – The Ramones: Summer in New York is an experience and “Rockaway Beach” nearly captures it.
13. “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay” – Otis Redding: It’s a classic, feel-good, perfect for summer song.
14. “A Little Party Never Killed Nobody” – Fergie: It’s inevitable that some of The Great Gatsby’s stellar soundtrack make itself onto a summer playlist. Channel your inner Jay Gatsby (but not too much – that won’t end well) and throw your own roaring party with this jam.
15. “Wild for the Night” – A$AP Rocky: This hip-hop/dubstep hybrid is a perfect party mix and shouldn’t be too long before it rises to the top as one of the top, if not the top, song of the summer.
Pegasus News Content partner - soso Active