Friday, November 1, 2013
9 notable break-ups in Dallas history
The JoBros just made the list.
Breaking up is hard to do.
It happens between two people dating, with an athlete and the hometown team, and among a band of brothers. Here are our most memorable break-ups in Dallas:
1. The Jonas Brothers: The famous musical siblings, who have lived in the Dallas area announced on October 29, 2013, that they've decided to call it quits. Nick Jonas, Joe Jonas, and Kevin Jonas say it was a unanimous decision and that they're "brothers first."
2. Miles Austin and Kim Kardashian: The Cowboys' No. 1 receiver and the reality-TV star began dating in July 2010 but split in September. It seems so long ago.
3. Mike Modano and the Dallas Stars: Modano was the face of the Stars' franchise going back to before the team moved to Dallas. After the 2010 season, the Stars opted not to re-sign Modano, 40, whose best years were clearly behind him. The eight-time All-Star had to decide whether to retire or sign a one-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings. Much like when Emmitt Smith and the Cowboys parted ways, the future Hall of Famer chose to play for the Red Wings.
4. Troy Aikman and Rhonda: The two separated after 10 years of marriage.
5. Jake Pavelka and Vienna Girardi: It's one thing to break up with someone at dinner but Dallas Bachelor star Jake Pavelka ended his relationship with Vienna Girardi on national television. Jake and Vienna's break-up was filmed as a special on ABC and featured the couple ending their engagement in front of a national audience.
6. Steve Nash and the Dallas Mavericks: Nash evolved from a solid player to an All-Star during his six years in Dallas. When Nash became a free agent after the 2004 season, just a year after helping lead the Mavericks to the Western Conference Finals, Mavs owner Mark Cuban made the decision to build the franchise around Dirk Nowitzki and not Nash. The point guard left Dallas for Phoenix, where he has won two league MVP awards, been named to five All-Star teams and made the first-team All-NBA squad three times.
7. Deion Sanders and Pilar: Since they filed for divorce, it was WAR for the next 18 months. The two were officially divorced in June 2013.
8. Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson: Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo split with America's favorite newlywed Jessica Simpson back in 2009. The couple dated for a year and a half.
9. Khloe and Lamar Odom and Dallas: The city had to bid farewell to Khloe Kardashian and husband Lamar after he was released from the Dallas Mavericks after one season. This wasn't the first time the city had to bid farewell to a Kardashian -- Kourtney Kardashian "broke up" with Dallas when she transferred out of SMU after two years of college.