Tuesday, October 15, 2013
Fire at Zanata pizza restaurant in Plano ruled accidental
The restaurant received light fire and moderate water damage after a blaze Sunday.
PLANO The fire that caused moderate damage to a downtown Plano restaurant Sunday morning began by accident, the Plano Fire Marshal reported Monday.
Plano Fire-Rescue crews were dispatched to Zanata at 1022 East 15th St. just before 7 a.m. after a Plano police officer noticed smoke and water coming from the restaurant. The officer was investigating an audible alarm thought to be a burglar alarm at the time.
First arriving fire crews observed smoke coming from the roof of the structure and heavy smoke inside the building. Fire crews encountered flames when they opened the second floor shaft serving the kitchen cooking equipment below. The fire was brought under control in about 50 minutes.
The restaurant received light fire and moderate water damage and the business to the west side received light damage from firefighters checking for fire extension.
Fire Marshal David Kerr was part of the fire investigation team and determined that the fire started accidentally in the second floor ventilation shaft. The fire sprinkler system activated and assisted in controlling the fire until fire units were able to extinguish the fire.
"The combination of fire sprinklers and the quick response of the firefighters made the difference in this fire," Kerr said. "Fires occurring when businesses are closed usually have the greatest delay in reporting a fire."
The two-alarm fire utilized 13 apparatus with 56 fire personnel.
Pegasus News Content partner - Star Local News