Thursday, September 5, 2013
Mayor of Irving will skydive Thursday
She's promoting a human-powered flying competition later this month.
IRVING Irving Mayor Beth Van Duyne will skydive Thursday from 10,000 feet above the Irving Convention Center to help promote National Red Bull Flugtag Day.
The mayor will leave Addison airport at 1 p.m. for the convention center and is expected to land in a field next to the Convention Center around 1:15 p.m. National Red Bull Flugtag Day is a homemade, human-powered flying craft competition.
For the first time, Irving will host the free public event September 21 on the south shore of Lake Carolyn in the Las Colinas Urban Center. The flight hangar opens to the public at 11 a.m., flights start at 1 p.m. and a panel of celebrity judges will pick a winner among 33 teams at 5 p.m.
- Theater review: Dedicated actors elevated weak script in An Act of the Imagination
- Theater review: Local playwright's Secrets of My Prison House astounds with absurdity
- Flying nerds to battle at national flugtag competition in Las Colinas
- Restaurant review: FM Smokehouse's lean meat fails to impress
- Theater review: All the Rage in Irving is almost all the rage