Thursday, September 5, 2013
12 hot-as-blazes weekend events in Dallas-Fort Worth, September 5-8
The Cowboys kick off for the first time in the regular season on Sunday night.
- Get out your toga from college -- you have one, right? -- and attend the Animal House toga party at Alamo Drafthouse. The show's at 7 p.m.
- Discounted designer shopping event the FIG Finale begins Thursday. Tickets are a pricey $50-$55 on the first night. If you'd rather save your money for clothes, go Friday or Saturday for $10-15.
- Skip after-work drinks and head to the Winspear Opera House's lawn for Patio Sessions, a free music event on Thursdays in the fall. Bring your own food, then buy drinks on-site.
People in DFW are happier than any other major city's residents
More than you wanted to know about breastaurant reality show Big Tips Texas
Air-conditioned bar will sell local beer during State Fair
Top 10 cookies baked in North Texas
- What goes better together than beer and tacos? Not much. Celebrate both at TacoCon at Four Corners Brewing. It's free, but bring cash for food and drinks.
- Hear Texas country artist Ray Wylie Hubbard perform Friday at the Kessler Theater during a live CD recording. Tickets are $20-30.
- The lovely ladies at Viva Dallas Burlesque will get naughty Friday night, all in the theme of -- yes! -- video game characters like Ms. Pac-Man and Frogger. No need to suppress your inner nerd at this event.
- You don't want to miss Untapped Dallas, a beer and indie music festival at the Gilley's complex in Dallas. The lineup includes Delta Spirit, Blackalicious, and more while you sip craft beer. Cheers!
- Did you know it's International Cassette Store Day? Head to Good Records for a free day of concerts featuring DFW bands.
- A new exhibition called Photographs of Denton highlights the work of photography students in the '50s and '60s who captured pictures of homes in their small town.
- Give Fido his day. Check out the splash days in University Park or The Colony. Is your pooch more of a land-lubber? Take him to Lee Harvey's for an off-leash play day.
- On National Grandparents Day, send the kids to the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History with grammy and pops. Grandparents get half-price admission.
- The Dallas Cowboys open the regular season against the New York Giants Sunday at AT&T Stadium. Don't forget: Women cannot bring purses.