Monday, September 16, 2013
Flower Mound bomb threat suspect believed to part of overseas scam
Calling from outside the country makes it more difficult to find the suspect.
FLOWER MOUND It may be more difficult to catch last week’s bomb threat suspect than once thought.
Captain Wess Griffin of the Flower Mound Police Department said that based on an FBI notification the department has received, it is believed that the man who called in a bomb threat September 4 at Walgreens made the call from overseas as part of a scam.
Police said that a man called Walgreens and demanded the numbers for five prepaid cards, which would have totaled $2,500, and that if he didn’t receive it, a bomb would go off. Police said the man was not given the information, and after conducting a search, no bombs were located.
“It’s a common scheme that targets places that sell prepaid debit cards,” Griffin said. “They’re reloadable cards that are loaded with cash. The problem is that if someone gains access to those numbers, they can get the money.”
Griffin said he understands this type of scheme is going on all over the United States and that the majority of the people making these calls are in different countries. Griffin said he doesn’t think the individual who called Flower Mound was part of a larger ring.
Still, he said, calling from outside the country makes it more difficult to find this suspect or any others who may call other cities.
“It becomes very problematic for law enforcement,” Griffin said. “And it’s lucrative for criminals. But we have to treat these calls like they’re real until we know it’s not.”
Pegasus News Content partner - Star Local News
- UPDATED: Fire destroyed Flower Mound home Friday at noon
- Flower Mound will hold open forum for town council and school board candidates on April 20
- Former CEO of SEGA opens new arcade-style restaurant Bar Fun Dining
- Marcus High School student dies from flu, staph infection
- Flower Mound couple turns home into Santa's Village for neighboring children to attend