Thursday, February 13, 2014
Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano is open and smokin’
It's the second Lockhart in DFW.
PLANO I wrote just this week that a new barbecue joint is slated for the Richardson area -- and that it takes inspiration from Central Texas 'cue. If you drive a few exits north on U.S. 75, you'll find another new barbecue place with roots in the Hill Country. Lockhart Smokehouse's second location is now open, this one in downtown Plano.
Owners Jill and Jeff Bergus have family ties to Kreuz Market in Lockhart, Texas, and their menus in DFW include sausage from Kreuz's.
Lockhart's bearded pitmaster Will Fleischman, from the Oak Cliff original, is also heading to the 'burbs -- at least for now. Fleischman will train the team in Plano and watch over the two new A.N. Bewley pits at the new place. Damien Avila will man the pits in Oak Cliff, and co-owner Tim McLaughlin will oversee both kitchens, says Jill Bergus.
Plano's Lockhart overtook an old antique shop at 1026 East 15th Street. The menu looks very similar to the Dallas 'cue joint, with brisket, chicken and Kreuz's sausage.
Doors are open now. Here’s hoping you can find a parking space.
1026 East 15th St., Plano; 972-516-8900; lockhartsmokehouse.com.
- Cheap Trick, Kool and the Gang and Joan Jett to headline Wildflower fest in Richardson
- Theater review: Go see Out of Sterno in Rover Dramawerks' new Plano space
- Concert review: Willie Nelson keeps rolling, with Asleep at the Wheel joining him
- Theater review: Rehearsal for Murder! is a comedically griping case of whodunit
- George Takei heads for Plano and Fort Worth this weekend