Friday, February 21, 2014
5 best bets in DFW this weekend: pop stars, pretty flowers and a crazy Porsche
Our best suggestion: Get outside!
1. Radio active: The band behind "Demons" and "Radioactive," Imagine Dragons, hits American Airlines Center on Friday. That's certainly a much bigger venue than the band was in in its last time in town for a two-night stint at South Side Ballrom.
2. Flower Power: It's the 30th anniversary of the Dallas Arboretum’s annual flower festival Dallas Blooms, and it's kicking off with a big discount Saturday through Feb. 28 (on-site only): $5 for the arboretum, or $8 for the Rory Meyers Children’s Garden plus the arboretum. This year’s fest has a "Birds in Paradise" theme and will feature 500,000 spring-blooming bulbs, a “Bird House Exhibit” with life-size playhouses and peacock topiaries. It runs through April 6.
3. Country meets Mardi Gras: Celebrate all day at the 13th annual Mardi Gras Texas Style music fest with 28 Texas county music acts on Saturday on five stages at Fair Park. See performances by the Eli Young Band, the Casey Donahew Band, Kevin Fowler, Chris Knight, Deryl Dodd, Uncle Lucius and others.
4. The art of eating: The Amon Carter Museum of American Art's new show, which opens Saturday and runs through May 18, is “Art and Appetite: American Painting, Culture and Cuisine.” Organized by the elite Art Institute of Chicago, the show explores the meanings and interpretations of eating in America. It contains 60 paintings from the 18th to the 20th centuries, all by American artists, ranging from Andy Warhol to Norman Rockwell.
5. Zoom on over: “The Fast and Furious” is this month’s Crow Collection After Dark theme, with Friday activities centered around the current exhibition of Ma Jun’s China porsche sculpture, which looks like a wildly painted Porche 911. Visitors can take photos with the sculpture, practice “street-art” skills by adding their own origami creations to the Crow Collection wall, and take part in a dance performance by Orizon. Dress up as your favorite anime character for a chance to win a prize.