Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Dessert review: J Rae’s Bakery in Fort Worth was out of cheesecake, so we got disappointing cupcakes
Don't even get me started on the edible glitter — confection faux pas.
FORT WORTH I guess one would assume if you are going to have a dessert at a place with a specific dessert in the name of said store, that it would only stand to reason that would be their highlight, right?
Well, shame on me for not picking up a cheesecake when I was at J Rae’s Bakery (formerly known as J Rae’s Cheesecakes) in Fort Worth. Or rather, shame on them for being sold out. Whoever you want to blame, I was left with only a few cookies and a couple of sad, sad cupcakes. Maybe that is why the name change -- they weren’t able to keep their namesake in stock?
The cupcakes were a disaster. That is in fact the only way I can describe them. I had a carrot cake cupcake and a coconut cupcake. The cake was dry on both. The carrot cake cupcake almost resembled a fruitcake with its density. Then, when sometimes the frosting can partially redeem a bad cupcake, it is loaded with the horrible, edible glitter. Why do places feel the need to add edible glitter to their cupcakes? It changes the texture of the frosting and makes it seem grainy. Oh no, “it’s OK to eat,” I am always assured. That is what they said about paste in grade school. Just imagine what my digestive system is doing. Pretty sure that is a Mardi Gras float going down my digestive tract. The coconut cupcake wasn’t any better. Take an already dry cake, add dried coconut flakes to the batter — you get my point.
The only redeeming thing about this visit was the iced sugar cookies. The cookies were chewy, yet firm and loaded with some delicious butter cream. It didn’t hurt that they were cut out in whimsical shapes like cupcakes. And no, not a stitch of edible glitter to be found. The peanut butter and Snickerdoodles were passible, but could definitely not hold a candle to the iced sugar cookies.
What lessons have we learned today?
1. Edible glitter should never be used … unless you’re a stripper, or you’re Katy Perry and are actually wearing cupcakes.
2. You really can’t go wrong when you take a buttery sugar cookie and load it up with frosting (unless you add edible glitter to it).
3. If you go into Bob’s Big Buns and leave with anything else other than one of his Big Buns, you will probably be disappointed.
Pegasus News Content partner - Confection Confessions
See more stories in:
- Review: Dedicated hopheads braved the cold at Fort Worth's Untapped festival
- 15 hilariously-named beers at Fort Worth's Untapped festival
- Theater review: All’s Well That Ends Well provides both light-hearted comedy and thoughtful reflection
- Theater review: Into the Woods creatively interprets childhood tales
- Theater review: Bank Job takes toilet humor literally