Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Rapper Childish Gambino hits South Side Ballroom March 7
Tickets go on sale Friday, January 10.
The tour’s name is a play off the rapper’s latest album, Because the Internet, which dropped on December 3. Despite its release late in the year, Childish Gambino managed to produce one of the best hip-hop albums of 2013, says one of our partners.
In an interview with Time, Glover said the album’s name began as a joke that gradually manifested into a theme.
“It’s weird to me that there’s not a similar title [out there already], because the Internet really is everything,” he said. “These words will end up on the Internet, somewhere, somehow. Everything we do is put into information online so I thought it was appropriate for the times.”
The album itself is divided into several “acts” separated by interludes into parts marked in the song titles by Roman numerals. The digital age is ever present within the content of the album, with references to Instagram, free information, trolls and hashtags.
Tickets to see Childish Gambino’s Deep Web Tour go on sale Friday, January 10 at 10 a.m. through Ticketmaster. As of this writing, no opening act has been announced.
See more stories in:
- Neil Young returns to the Meyerson in April
- Theater review: We Will Rock You will blow your mind, and your speakers
- OMG: Adam Lambert and Queen will rock Dallas, together, in July
- Theater review: The [Expletive] with the Hat is masterful and funny, wise and appalling
- See new Toadies documentary Monday at the Kessler