Friday, January 10, 2014
1980s pop singer Tiffany, now a mom in her 40s, sings at Vista Ridge Mall
The Food Network camera crew was on-site, too.
LEWISVILLE Pop singer Tiffany got her start in the '80s singing in shopping malls. Thursday afternoon, Tiffany Renee Darwish headed back to the mall -- Vista Ridge in Lewisville -- to perform for audiences who remember her decades-ago remake of "I Think We're Alone Now."
Tiffany made a name for herself in 1987 and 1988 when her album, Tiffany, hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and Billboard 200 charts. She's now a 42-year-old mom who has released six more albums, none nearly as popular as Tiffany.
Tiffany's also made it on television as a contestant on Rachael Vs. Guy Celebrity Cook-Off on Food Network, which premiered Monday. The Food Network filmed parts of Tiffany's performance Thursday.
In Entertainment Weekly's review of Tiffany on Rachael Vs. Guy, writer Annie Barrett calls her the most tolerable of the bunch. (The show includes two other Dallas-area people: Vanilla Ice and Herschel Walker.) "Come on, who doesn’t like Tiffany?" writes Barrett. "... She also told Vanilla Ice to pipe down (YES). But he won’t!"
Take a peek at Tiffany's Lewisville mall performance Thursday, which included a cover (with slight lyric change) of The Beatles' "I Saw Him Standing There," plus "Could've Been," and of course, "I Think We're Alone Now."
Tommy Cummings contributed to this story.
- Pop singer Tiffany will perform at Vista Ridge Mall's food court January 9
- Theater review: Despite deeply-flawed script, Blitzen! is watchable
- More than you wanted to know about breastaurant reality show Big Tips Texas
- "Freedom Writer" Darrius Garrett will sign memoir in Lewisville
- Witness helped police arrest man accused of stealing drugs from Walgreens