Find more organizations in: Theater company
Are you interested in this organization?
Conscious Theater empowers a new generation of social activist with knowledge and awareness. Thought provoking entertainment stimulates social consciousness by attacking prevalent issues such as racism, violence, and sexual abuse. Our contemporary urban parables transcend race, gender, socioeconomic status, and imagination. Our goal is to connect man to humanity by challenging the moral foundation of society.
Conscious Theater was created by Willie Holmes, a Political Science Professor and playwright. Holmes is native of Birmingham, Alabama and attended public school in Los Angeles, California. He received a B.A. from Bethune-Cookman University and a Masters from the Ohio State University. Holmes is the founder and executive director of the Blacken Blues Theater of African-American life in Dallas, Texas. The company mission is to share the rich culture of African-American life and promote racial tolerance through education and understanding.
As a playwright, Holmes captures the essence of urban American life by romancing the drama of every day struggles. His blend of thought provoking drama and unique style of humor allows audiences to digest stories that appear unpalatable. In the bows of social and political despair, there are several stories they need to be told. Conscious Theater gives a voice to the people.
Information from the theater company's site
- Review: Taco Wagon's renovation yields sincere "north of the border" style
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at video game development at Gearbox Community Day
- Photos: Dallas' first taco and beer festival was a delicious addition
- Review: Untapped Festival brews a near-perfect day of indie beer and music
- Meet Winspear and Kamau, the Dallas Zoo's ridiculously adorable baby cheetahs